Wanted: Budget Delegate Committee Facilitators!
As the PBNYC districts wrap up a great round of neighborhood assemblies, we're gearing up for the budget delegate process! Districts throughout the city are lining up volunteers to facilitate the budget delegate committees - please read the advertisement below and consider volunteering!
The Participatory Budgeting Project is looking for volunteer facilitators in New York City to assist community members in developing project proposals for the program Participatory Budgeting in New York City (PBNYC).
PBNYC is a democratic process in which community members in eight New York City Council districts directly decide how to spend around $10 million of their Council Members’ capital discretionary funds. The process began in September and October, with public assemblies in which community members generated initial project ideas. From November to March, volunteer budget delegates will be working in committees (education, parks, public safety, etc) to develop these initial ideas into full project proposals, including meeting with representatives of the city agencies to determine project feasibility. Delegates will present these proposals back to the community in February 2013, and in March, district residents will vote to determine the winners. For more information, including information on participating districts, please visit pbnyc.org.
While there are many ways to be involved in PB,we are currently recruiting people to serve as facilitators for the budget delegate committees. This is an excellent opportunity for individuals interested in honing their facilitation skills, deepening their knowledge of city government, and gaining experience engaging diverse community members.
Facilitators will make sure that delegates move through the timeline in a timely and orderly fashion, and that the committee is an inclusive space in which all delegates can participate fully and equally. Facilitators play an important role in upholding PBNYC’s goals of inclusion, equality, and empowerment.
Roles and Responsibilities
Work with one budget delegate committee in a participating district, including:
- Facilitate 1-2 meetings per month and ensure that all delegates are able to participate, serving as a neutral force on the committee.
- Serve as a point of contact for Council Member staff, and help coordinate communication within the delegate committee and between the committee and Council Member staff
- Connect delegates with info and resources. Facilitators are not expected to do research on behalf of the committee.
- Support delegates in researching, assessing and developing proposals
- Participate in occasional facilitator trainings, conference calls, and meetings, as determined in each district.
Time Commitment: 4-6 hours per week, November 2012 to March 2013
- availability for meetings on weekday evenings
- experience with facilitation and/or with a specific committee issue area
- willingness to travel to different neighborhoods a must
- interest in community engagement
If you are interested in joining the facilitation team, please send a brief statement of interest to the Participatory Budgeting Project, info [at] participatorybudgeting [dot] org, by November 1st, including:
- Any past facilitation experience you may have
- Specific committee interest (education, parks, youth, seniors, etc), if any
- Which districts you would be willing to participate in (openings available in NYC Council Districts 8, 19, 23, 32, 33, 44, and 45. See council.nyc.gov for district locations)
Please note that we may not be able to accommodate all committee or district preferences.
We hope you will be interested in joining us to make participatory budgeting a big success in New York City! Please share widely!